Sunday, May 29, 2016

Day 5: Little Rock Central High

Nathaniel:

Today was a really special day because we got to learn about a lot of events that I have only read about. For example, we went to Little Rock Central High School and I actually saw where Melba
Pattillo Beals' experience took place.  From this trip to Little Rock Central High I learned to persevere no matter what and never give up when something is bigger than yourself.  When I get back to Washington, D.C., I will make sure I tell people the story of the Little Rock Nine and what they had to go through.  Today was also very special because I have read a lot of books about the Little Rock Nine but have never dreamed of actually going to the school they attended.




















Jeffrey:
I learned that some guards stood there while the Little Rock Nine were being beaten.

William:
I want to share that even teachers hated the students to do terrible things to them.  For instance, one teacher asked a student to throw acid on one of the student's face which is surprising 'cause that's really mean.
I want to look into the background of the students at Central High, so I can learn why they wanted to go to the school and what childhood they had growing up that influenced the decision.

Nyjah:
I want to share how Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. went to Ernest Green's graduation and how some white people were nice to some of the Little Rock Nine.



Sharrah:


Currently we are in Little Rock, Arkansas.  I've been looking forward to going to Central High.  The high school is MUCH bigger than I thought it was going to be and I'm so glad that I had this experience because if I never was in elite scholars to do this program, then I most likely would never have been to Arkansas.  We're about to go to the Arkansas State Capitol and I wonder what we will go over today.  I wish we had regular school trips to travel so we can learn like that because it's easier to learn with activities instead of watching videos about it.  Traveling and going to different tours is like having a workshop and we can use our own observations to learn.

Evening discussion

No comments:

Post a Comment